Veteran, Educator, Business Leader
Josh is prepared to serve in Congress. In the Navy he led missions in Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf, and East Asia. He has expertise in national security affairs, public policy, and business. He is the lead editor of an LA Times best-selling book. Along the way he helped organizations protecting the environment and preventing veteran homelessness. Now, he is combining those experiences to care for his home district in New Jersey. Josh is dedicated to a life of service and advancing liberty, tolerance, and economic prosperity for all Americans.
Josh Welle was born in Trenton and graduated from Wall High School in Monmouth County, New Jersey. The proud son of a service-oriented family, he always puts his community first. Josh revived the Navy Junior ROTC program at Wall High School and was appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis. There, he honed his leadership skills and was elected Class President.
Josh served 12 years active-duty in the U.S. Navy, including a tour in Afghanistan and four deployments to the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Europe. His responsibilities spanned from strategically advising the Ambassador in Kabul to being Executive Officer of a Navy Mine Countermeasure ship in the Persian Gulf. Josh was also an educator, selected to teach International Relations at the Naval Academy, became the first Navy Fellow at the Center for New American Security, and was a Council on Foreign Relations term member. He is a Commander in the U.S. Navy Reserve.
In the private sector, Josh worked at the intersection of technology and defense. He was selected as one of the Top 40 Rising Stars in Government Technology in 2017. He founded a software company and served as its CEO, where he worked with the Department of Defense to develop mobile software and provide innovation consultancy to the government, helping large bureaucracies achieve their missions.
Josh is the lead editor of In the Shadow of Greatness, an LA Times bestseller, that Tom Brokaw heralded as a “must read for all Americans.” His work was also published in the Harvard Business Review, Proceedings, and Joint Forces Quarterly. Josh received a bachelor of science degree in Political Science from the Naval Academy, master’s degrees in International Relations and Business Administration from the University of Maryland (College Park), and a master’s degree in Public Administration from the Harvard Kennedy School. While at Harvard, Josh earned a Dubin Fellowship from the Center for Public Leadership and the Littauer Award for public service. Josh lives in Rumson, New Jersey and enjoys coaching soccer, competing in triathlons, surfing on the Jersey Shore, and spending time with his wife Angela.
- 1997: Graduated Wall High School, New Jersey
- 2002: Graduated U.S. Naval Academy, Bachelors in Political Science
- 2003: Deployed to Persian Gulf in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom
- 2004 – 2005: Division Officer on USS Cowpens (CG 63), Yokosuka, Japan
- 2006 – 2008: Instructor of Political Science, Annapolis, Maryland
- 2009: Deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom
- 2010 – 2012: Engineering Officer on USS Arleigh Burke (DDG 51), Norfolk, VA
- 2013 – 2014: Executive Officer on USS Devastator (MCM 6), Manama, Bahrain
- 2015: Transitioned to the Navy Reserve, US Forces Korea and NATO support
- 2015: Cofounded software company and became COO/CEO
- 2017: Announced candidacy for U.S. Congress, New Jersey 4th